December 5, 2013

Fresh from the Kitchen: Homemade Tortillas

I have a great recipe that we use in our kitchen! I don't know about you, but I LOVE tortillas. Okay--let me rephrase that. I love FLOUR tortillas (corn ones are too chewy) and we use them a LOT since we are huge Mexican food fans. I have in my freezer packages of tortillas that I buy at Costco but sometimes I forget to set them out to thaw to use in time. When that happens we just make them ourselves!

Here is our favorite tortilla recipe that I have tried and tested and that our family loves...it's great for your children to help out too--making it a must have recipe!


Ingredients: 
(using organic if you can!)

2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c. water
3 T. extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Mix up your flour and salt in a bowl. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface and knead adding a little four or water if needed to get it to be a nice smooth dough.

Here Baby Britches is helping me knead. He is pushing down on my hands and giving me good assistance! LOL!

Next step is to divide your dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7" circle.

Here are some pictures of Baby Britches rolling out his tortillas. He had never used the rolling pin before and was enthralled with it!

 He got REALLY into it! You can see he's got flour all over him!
Here is Little Britches advising him...and eager for his turn!

Last step--in a skillet (preferably cast iron!) sprayed with oil, cook tortillas over medium heat for about 1 minute per side or until lightly browned. Keep warm!

Mmm. Fresh tortillas! These really don't take very long to make--the rolling them out is the part that takes the longest, but if you have willing helpers it can go quickly! Just make sure to roll them out as thin as you can because they get nice and thick when you cook them.

Here are the boys enjoying the tortillas they made!  
We love filling them with leftover meat, black beans and cheese with homemade salsa to dip! And of course they declared them the best ever--because they helped make them of course! LOL! And they reheat quite nicely! We pop them in the microwave for about 20 seconds or so and it softens them quite nicely. 

I recommend using these when you make tacos with my Homemade Taco Seasoning!

*CLICK HERE TO PRINT OFF THE HOMEMADE TORTILLA RECIPE*

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Photobucket

No comments: