December 31, 2013

One Word for 2014

Here we are on December 31, 2013...at the very cusp of the new year. A new year means new goals. New dreams. And this year, I'm joining with other The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew bloggers and seeking a word...just one word...to focus on over the course of the year. A word to print off and put on my fridge so that I can see it every single day and bring to mind what it means every time.
Word for 2014
Joy...that was my word for 2013. After suffering a miscarriage at the end of 2012, I asked God to "Show me Joy!" And that word became my unofficial word for the year. The loving Father granted me my request and this year was full of moments of joy. Joy in the big stuff and joy in the little stuff. It was the perfect fit. But now I'm searching again. There are so many words I could choose...intentional, focus, love, simplify, purify, commitment...the list goes on and on and on.

But none of those fit...none of those are a match to my goals for 2014.

In March of 2014, I will be attending a Women's Enrichment Weekend where the theme of the weekend is "The Fruits of the Spirit".
I love reading that scripture. I memorized it ages ago. There are so many words in that scripture that I could focus on...and as I read it over this past week as part of word search, one kept jumping out. 

*F a i t h f u l n e s s*

What is the definition of the word faithful?

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
1. full of faith
2. steadfast in affection or allegiance
3. firm in adherence to promises or in observance of duty
4. true to the facts or a standard

If you are faithful, then you are practicing faithfulness.

There are synonyms that help bring to light the depths of meaning in the word faithful:
true, loyal, steadfast, devoted, constant, staunch, reliable, steady, true-blue

I am drawn to this word. I see places in my life where I need to become more faithful. I could have chosen the word "Perseverance" because I'm absolutely horrible about follow-thru on things. I will start with great intentions and then something always comes up which spins me around. But then I thought about it and faithful describes that too. Being faithful to complete something. Being faithful to stay true to a goal or mission.

And that took me to one of my favorite scriptures...
Philippians 1:6 verse

There is a song by Christian Artist Steve Green called "He who Began a Good Work in You" and the chorus is written as:
"He who began a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it...He who started the work will be faithful to complete it in you."

And that line just keeps rolling through my mind. God is not like me in just cranking a wheel and then walking away. Or starting to work with someone and then walking away. He is a God of finishing. He starts things and I can count on His faithfulness to see them to completion. I want to be more like that. I want to be counted as someone who is faithful. To pray faithfully. To study faithfully. But not just in my spiritual life...in my everyday life too. If I tell someone I will do something, I want them to know I will be faithful and keep my promise to do it. No excuses. No "I forgot's". When I plan out a list of goals of things to accomplish, I want to be faithful to my list and work hard at completing them. I want to be faithful to my vows I made to my husband to take of the family and home. To be his faithful "helpmeet" that he can count on no matter what. To be faithful to take my health seriously and get back on track. To be faithful to commitments big or small.

And so my one word for 2014...
synonyms for faithful


I will be checking in quarterly in 2014 to share how it's going focusing on my word. I'm excited about it because I think so much of what I need to work on can be encapsulated in this word!

Do YOU have a word picked for 2014?
Photobucket

No comments: